I should have taken more photos but I was busy the whole time working. We were doing what Anne calls "precision collage" which resembles appliqué . Anne had simplified drawings of ERI, Henry VIII, and face cards of all the suites. We chose one and traced it numerous times. (She made me start over because my tracing was too sketchy - I have a hard time going to the edge and closing my lines to make shapes.) From our tracings we cut pieces that we glued to the master traced copy. Sounds easy and I guess that it was, but not in every way. So here is mine. When I flipped it over we decided that the back was interesting so I have photographed it also.
This is the back. If I add a little color to the face and hands it might be really good.
The front. As you can see, the long chains she wears need color (gold) and she needs a face as well as some powder. I don't think that Elizabeth was much for sun, but she looks like she just came home from two weeks at the beach!. Eyes, ey…
Painting five versions of the same thing, each painting no more than 20 minutes in the making might sound boring to you but it is actually an interesting challenge. For one thing, how many ways can you set up marble eggs? I am already about to run out of ways. Having only 20 minutes means that you have to go for the essence of the thing also and leave out some of the refinements you might normally include. It becomes quite a challenge. Here is today's effort. One good thing is that you can make lots of paintings this way and the more painting you do the better you get. Or so they say.
I have begun walking again. It has been hard to get back into it after I was ill for several weeks but I feel better when I walk although right now I am still building back up. It took three different outings today to get less that three miles. I like to walk at night but I am going to try to go out early in the morning. Early for me that is - about 8:30 or 9:00. We will see how that works. Not too…
This painting is of the sidewalk across the street from my house. We are working on light/illumination so the most important part is the light and shadow. I have included the original photo so you can see what I was working from. I am not displeased although I can see where it can be improved. I guess that there is always room for improvement at this stage of the game.
I enjoy working in oils even more than I thought I would. I don't use any solvents so it is a safer studio to have in the house. I also use a painting knife instead of a brush and it cleans up with just a wipe. I might use brushes at some point but they can be cleaned with walnut oil followed by soap - still no solvent. I don't think I could do it if I had to use turpentine despite the nursery rhyme about Queen Caroline who washed her hair in turpentine to make it shine.
All is well,