I am embarrassed to have posted that painting from yesterday. When I looked at it this morning I quickly picked up my brushes and did some alterations. I still is not that good, but at least that awful rendering of the shell is gone - a definite improvement in my humble opinion. So here is the new one.
I, at least, like it better. I will be using 6"x6" canvases for a while and hope that with a little room I can do better. You will have to be the judge
My new brushes came today and I tried them out on the last of the 4"x4" canvas boards. I think that I am going to like them. This is a vase that Dean brought home from his travels in SouthEast Asia and two beautiful shells. The one at the bottom of the vase is one we found on the beach but I didn't draw it very well. The other is a murex that I bought.
As a special treat here is Nora, whose older sisters are on Sarie's soccer team. Could that be any cuter?
Yesterday morning it was a cup, and then it wasn't. That was after I knocked it off the "stage" where I set up the still life in order to paint it. I was rearranging things and went behind to adjust the paper at the back, forgetting that a cup was in the corner until I heard the crash. Whoops! It kinda made me sick, but it is only a (previously was a) cup.
The set up in process. At least two cups weren't broken!
The shards. Not my best painting but I just couldn't get excited about it!
I have a busy weekend, one that will most likely not include painting, so I will get back to this next week
Of course I did not let these cups tumble - they are my china that we use and I don't have extras. They do stack well, though, don't they?
Up close this looks like what it is - patches of paint, but from a distance it looks like what it is supposed to portray - cups. At least I think that it does! The canvas on this one had been underpainted a bright green. Not as much of it shows in person but the camera sees all!
I am afraid that you will see these cups again and again unless I actually get out and find some others; I am not sure when that will be. I will also post about my set up process and palette in the future, in case you are like me and want to see behind the scenes, as it were.
Hmmm. I think that the inside of that cup on its side might need to be darker. Amazing what you see after you post.
The bristle brushes are working out, as are the long handles. The brushes I bought were natural bristle, better with oils, at Michaels. I am going to order some synthetic ones because I think that synthetics work better with acrylics and, having tried oils once, but only for a short while, I don't think that I need another thing to learn about right now.
My guess is that you might see more of these cups (well, I know that you will see at least one more) although I would like to find some old fiesta ware or something similar to work with. I think a trip to the antique/junk store or to GoodWill is in order.
Actually, I painted another one but I will post it tomorrow. Something to look forward to (haha).
All is well and all will be well and all will most certainly be well,
I finished up the first of two class projects. The next project involves painting, stating, stenciling and otherwise designing deli paper to piece together to make a picture. Since I am not a big fan of deli paper art I might just do another painting with yellow lines. Maybe.
I kinda like this, so another might be a good thing. On the other hand, next class Sandy will show us her deli paper collage and it will look so good that I might have to give it a whirl.
Meanwhile, I have been using a long-handled bristle brush which is as different as can be from my usual short-handled synthetic sable or equivalent. Learning all kinds of stuff this summer!